1807 S. Allport St.
1893, Faber & Pagels
This husky Romanesque mixed-use building served Pilsen’s Bohemian community as a social and political center and hosted musical and theatrical productions. Apartments and stores helped support the Hall, named for the Greek muse of comedy. Above the entry hovers a “green man,” with hair, beard, and mustache of acanthus. A popular pagan figure co-opted by Christians, he can be traced to the head-hunting and -worshiping Celts. He enjoyed a revival on turn-of-the-century buildings, particularly those faced with limestone, along with other elements borrowed from the Romanesque.